Sunday, August 22, 2010
Making things work...
While planning and making "the piece with no name" there was the challenge of how to fire it without the circle on the bottom of the pendant sagging while it was being fired.
I decided to use a product called creative paper clay to make little supports to put under the piece (that's the white stuff).
Having not used creative paper clay before I wasn't sure if it would work or not. When I took the piece out of the kiln I was very pleased to see that the paper clay didn't burn off (as I thought it would at 650degrees celcius), and the paper clay left behind was a lovely ashey grey. So that was a very successfuly experiment and I'll be using it again.